Day 1. Ulaanbaatar – Mongol Nomads – Khustai Nuruu
We meet our local guide at the hotel lobby, as we drive back in time, to a place that recreates the lives of Mongolian nomads at the beginning of the 20th century. This was when Mongolia gained its independence from the Qing Dynasty and established itself as a reemerging nation under a living god-king. Here we shall attend a demonstration of how the nomads lived their lives during this era, and learn about some traditions that are carried on to this very day. After lunch in the camp we arrive at Khustaiin Nuruu Strictly Protected Area (SPA). The SPA was established as part of a unique project to reintroduce the world’s last surviving wild horses back to their natural environment. On the brink of extinction during the last century, only a very few Takhi or Przewalski’s horses were left in zoos around Europe. This graceful steppe horse was returned to Mongolia, and today, thanks to this special project, two herds again roam the Mongolian steppes. Overnight in a ger camp- the cozy yet simple, Mongolian version of a lodge, consisting of traditional felt-made dwellings the nomads of Central Asia often refer to as yurt.
Day 2. Khustain Nuruu – Terelj National Park
We retrace our footsteps back to Ulaanbaatar. But rather than pause in the city, we continue our journey east for another one and a half hours’ drive to GorkhiTerelj National Park. The park features unique rock formations, scenic valleys, a winding river, and restful groves of trees. Many nomads live in the park itself, where they find good grazing for their animals. If time permits, we will take a short hike to a nearby hill, from where we watch the sun set over the park (weather permitting of course). We will spend the night in a ger camp in the park.
Day 3. In Terelj National Park
This morning we take an easy hike to the famous Turtle Rock, a symbol of wisdom and longevity to the Mongolian people. We then continue hiking to Aryabal Temple. The temple has been recently reconstructed, after the original temple had been destroyed during the communist purges of the 1930s. A site of great tranquility, it functions today as a meditation center to Buddhist monks. After lunch, we take an afternoon horseback riding trip through the rolling hills and vast open meadows of the park. Late in the evening we revert to our ger camp in the park’s vicinity, where we spend a second night.
Day 4. Terelj National Park - Ghengis Monument – Ulaanbaatar
We leave the park, and drive to the newly constructed Ghengis Khan Monument. Rising 40 meters in height over the surrounding steppes, this mighty structure plays a major symbol to the renewing Mongolian nation, after more than 300 years of foreign sovereignty over its people and territory. We climb up this gigantic monument for a view over the Great Khan’s motherland and then visit the elaborate exhibition showcasing some fascinating historic findings. In the afternoon we drive back to Ulaanbaatar, where we say farewell to our guide and driver as they would bring us back to the hotel in the city.
Dates & Pricing
4 travelers - 10% discount
6 or more travelers - 25% discount
- Prices are based on twin share occupancy.
- Applicable only for travel groups of 4 people or more booking Terelj & Khustai National Park Tour together.
- The discounted price is the price for 2 people (below) less the discount.
- Mongolian Ways Ltd. reserves the right to change Terelj & Khustai National Park Tour prices and programs due to changes in flight schedule, changes in airfares, and other local circumstances.
- $1,087 Per Person (For a group of 6 or more)
- $61 Single Room Supplement
- Accommodation as per program
- All meals as per program (full board basis)
- Private 4WD vehicle
- Local English speaking guide
- Drinking water
- All transfers
- All entrance fees as per program
- All transfers
- International airfare
- Travel insurance
- PCR/COVID tests, or any tests that might be required for international or domestic travel
- Expenses that might incur due to the results of COVID tests before, during or after the tour
- Expenses of personal nature (laundry, communications, food and beverages beyond those provided)
- Anything not clearly mentioned as included in the program
- 3 nights in ger camp
Note: The listed hotels on Terelj & Khustai National Park Tour are tentative. Final hotel list shall be confirmed upon placing a booking and paying a deposit.
More tours of this type
6 Days In Southern Mongolia
- AUTUMN TOURS
4 Days In Central Mongolia
More tours in these destinations
8 Days In Northern Mongolia
- FAMILY HOLIDAYS
- SUMMER TOURS
9 Days In Central Mongolia
- OVERLAND TOURS
- FAMILY HOLIDAYS
- SELF-DRIVE TOURS